Thursday, March 15, 2018

Wednesday, March 14, 2018- Happy Pi Day!


Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Another full day in the books! After breakfast and loading the bus we made our way to the National Archives (home of the Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights).  When we first entered we had the opportunity to see the Magna Carta (from the 1200s). It is the oldest document in the building. Then we went to the Rotunda to see the three main documents. There is no photography and the security is high there. The documents are under thick glass and have special lights as to not fade the documents any more than necessary.  The documents are all rather faded, especially the Declaration of Independence. I find it interesting that the two words that are still rather bold and definitely legible are "free and independent".  The kids really enjoyed looking at these documents and truly took their time.  I also learned (and some students learned) that the Bill of Rights isn't matching what we think of the Bill of Rights as to the document that is there. The first two amendments were removed and so the first amendment (freedom of speech) is actually number three on the document. Another fun fact- they didn't have erasers then, so they used candle wax to remove mistakes. You can see the candle wax on the Constitution. After the Rotunda students had the opportunity to take in the museum.  I apologize for the lack of photos in there, but no photos are allowed in the Rotunda.

From the National Archives we headed to Union Station for lunch. I have to be honest and say it isn't my favorite spot for lunch. It is incredibly busy. Great lunch choices, but seating is limited.  

After lunch we headed toward the Holocaust Museum. I think a lot of the kids enjoyed the Holocaust museum.  Many didn't understand the severity or reality of what happened during the holocaust.  Each student was given a real person's name and story to follow. At the end you get to read if you survived or died. They also seemed to enjoy the Hall of Remembrance, where some students lit a candle, and Daniel's story, a "diary" written from a child's perspective during the holocaust. 

After the Holocaust Museum we headed to the National History Museum. In the museum the students had the opportunity to see the Hope Diamond, mummies, gems, animals from all over, and much more.  Many seemed to enjoy seeing the Hope Diamond, Henry the elephant and the mammal exhibit. 

From there we went to dinner at Nados Peri-Peri, a portuguese dining establishment. We enjoyed chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, and a brownie. They also had a variety of sauces to try. The students liked trying the different sauces.  

Then we headed to the Jefferson Memorial.  I have to admit that our group was incredibly well behaved. At both the Jefferson and MLK Memorials I (and the other adults) was beyond proud of how respectful the students were. Other groups were running, yelling, and acting wild; our group was perfect.  

From Jefferson we headed to the MLK Memorial and the FDR Memorial.  I think the MLK Memorial was a favorite for many of the students. By the time we got to the FDR Memorial it was evident they were getting tired and cold. They were still respectful to our tour guide, Sally, but they were ready to be in the warmth. I think they all enjoyed seeing FDR's dog. (I apologize for the not great photos in the evenings-I cannot figure out the lighting options on the school camera!)

After FDR it was back to the hotel we went. I'm sure they will sleep well tonight!! Tomorrow- Mount Vernon, Capitol, and Dinner Cruise!

Today we went to the Holocaust Museum, and it was really interesting to read about these events, but it was really sad. We also went to the Jefferson Memorial, but what made me slightly frustrated was that the entire time that we were talking about the Declaration, the name Laffayette, was never mentioned. I was triggered. But, when we went to the National Archives, and we saw the Constitution, and the Declaration, and I got to read about Jefferson, and Madison, and Washington, and Alexander Hamilton. I also found Alexander Hamilton painted on the wall on the right side of the room. I remember that he was number eighteen on the sign that said where he was. We also saw so many jewels! SHINY!!!!!!
-Riley Elsbury
my favtiory thing was the constitution.
Alex

I really liked the Holocaust Museum it was sad but I think it really honored all the people who were affected by it.
-Jessinda

My favorite part about the trip so far was the Holocaust Museum. It was really a reality check for people to see how a country could fall apart over the littlest things.
-Molly


My favorite part of the day was when we saw the Martin Luther King Jr. statue.
-Caleb

My favorite thing we did today was to see the famous documents like the decratlation of independence, the bill(law not a bill anymore) of rights, and the constitution. I also like the Holocaust Museum it was very sad and I liked how it tells us this so it won't happen again. 
-David P Kosman 



No comments:

Post a Comment